Eden Holistic Pet Foods

We feed our dogs Eden Holistic Food Launched in September 2012 it is the first pet food with an 80% Meat content. The remaining 20% is made up from Fruit, Herbs, Vitamins and Minerals. Basically it is all the foods a dogs ancestors would have had access to and therefore, what a dogs digestive system is designed to cope with.

Note, Eden Food contains NO grain or Gluten which is cheap and often used to bulk out commercial food, but has no food value to a dog.

The following is from the Eden Home Page

“We at Eden Holistic Pet Foods pride ourselves on formulating a range of foods that caters to the nutritional needs of cats and dogs. Developed in consultation with vets and nutritionists, all our food has the best quality meats, fruits and vegetables, and is completely grain and gluten free. Our passion lies in “Supporting animal health through nutrition”™ and this will always remain our guiding philosophy as we strive to make animals healthier and happier by making the best dog and cat food on the market.”

Our decision to use this food was based on considerable research into dog foods and nutrition and we have found both of our hounds are thriving on it.

We would strongly recommend that you visit  www.allaboutdogfood.co.ukwhich is an independently run site aimed at advising owners about the content of the food they use. 

Check out what you are giving your dog !

Eden has a 5 star rating.

Both our dogs eat the same food, Eden is not breed or age specific. It is highly nutritious and you don’t need to feed large quantities.  Jessie weighs around 10Kg and Max 11Kg. They both eat two 70g meals a day, morning and evening, with a late afternoon snack of 30g. So a total feed of 170g each per day.


We switched to Eden in 2013, the year that we got Max. At the same time as the switch, we bought a set of scales to weigh the dogs. We wanted to be able to adjust the feeding to keep weights as they should be.

We found that switching Jessie from a feed with a high grain content resulted in a dip in her weight. This was only brief and as she replaced a bit of lost flab with muscle, the weight came back. She is now more toned and lean. Max being younger hadn’t had a chance put on any excess, as his graph shows he grew at a very steady rate.


We did experience a period of detox during change over (A few days of loose poops) Several articles we have read point out that many commercial feeds contain twice as many preservatives as a BigMac ! So its not surprising really ! Plus if the feed they are having contains grains and fillers they cant digest, at some point they will come out ! 

Eden sounds like a luxury food, it actually works out cheaper than the Royal Canin Jessie was on. Cheaper per Kg to buy and as the portions are smaller its lasts longer too. We get through 340g a day, so one 15Kg sack lasts us 44 days or £1.43 a day for 2 dogs. (Nov 2020)


It is dearer than a food such as Wagg, but when you read that foods contents, you may as well feed them the bag it came in. The hidden saving is in vet bills. More and more people are realising the cost in health, that feeding inappropriate foods brings. Allergies in dogs is rising, along with skin complaints and all manner of other ailments. Hardly surprising if we continue to feed inappropriate foods.


Our dogs eat a healthier diet than we do, but that’s because we can choose what we eat, they don’t have that luxury so its our responsibility to make wise choices for them. 
Eden can also be mixed with raw feeding. As it contains 80% meat proteins it does not cause problems with differing digestion rates. There is a self perpetuating theory, that kibble digests slower than raw food. This following scientific based article goes some way to disproving this argument.


Digest This: Kibble may actually digest faster than raw.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s